Friday, November 20, 2009

Pre-Thanksgiving



Our Thanksgiving holiday has begun. When the bell rang on Friday afternoon I packed up and hurried home. Nick and I were trying to leave for Mississippi as soon as we could. I got home at 3:17, got a Coke Zero, and we pulled out about 3:23. We were leaving before 3:30. We were excited to get to Madison, Mississippi (Nick’s hometown) at a good time. Well, we were driving along enjoying fun music and the fact that we were off for a week, when Nick’s mom called. This made me realize I have not seen my phone in a while. So I began to look for my phone. Nick just about hung up on his mom to call my phone. Then I realized that I left it at home. This normally would not be a big deal, but we were going to be gone for 8 days! We are also going to New Orleans (more on that in a minute). I hate to not have my phone for that long (mainly for security reasons). So, we turned around after we were 40 minutes away from Montgomery. I was mad at myself. Nick was frustrated. But we went back and my phone was sitting on the seat of my car. Nick got over it quicker than I did, but I just felt bad the entire trip. He was trying to get back to see a football game. He missed the football game (a live game, not on TV). And instead of getting there in time for dinner at 7:30, we arrived at 9:00. It is so frustrating to leave something so small as your cell phone. We had carefully packed and prepared the night before, and then I wasted almost an hour and half because of my cell phone! Well we made it safely, and I’m finally over my frustration. Now I can really enjoy myself!


Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! I love the traditions of Thanksgiving. I wake up and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade while drinking my coffee. I love the parade! I watch the entire thing, and I don't miss a beat. Then I get dressed for the day to eat and visit with friends and family at the Archer's cabin. I'll report more on this after Thursday.

This is Nick and me last Thanksgiving.

This year we are doing something a little different. We are beginning our Thanksgiving in New Orleans. We are going to celebrate my brother George's (a.k.a. Tator) 21st birthday. He will be 21 on the 21st. I am really excited about this trip for a few reasons. One, to celebrate the life of George. Two, I don't have to teach 160 thirteen year olds how to read a map scale for the next week. Three, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.

This is most, but not all, of the group headed to New Orleans.

Me and George. Happy 21st Birthday Tator!

I hope you all have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

"Oh, give thanks to the Lord for He is good, his love endures forever." Psalm 118:29

2 comments:

  1. haha.. the gillespies/archers and their wine.. always. yaaaayy you're here!!! i can't wait to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy -- My weekend has been like your Friday (I'll tell you more when I see you!). I always get over focused on all I have to do because I'm leaving town, and I end up "messing up" in ways that double my work, effort, and frustration. In the big scheme of things, though, it's not so serious.

    Happy b'day to George too.

    Look forward to seeing you soon

    ReplyDelete