Friday, December 13, 2013

I'm a Real Mom Now

I have never been a car person. I have never cared about what kind of car I drive.

My first car was a used hunter green 4-Runner. I thought it was cool because it was an SUV and the back window could roll all the way down. It's obvious that I didn't know what made a car 'cool.' I was just thankful for a car. I only lost the 4-Runner because someone didn't look left before turning out on the road, and they turned right into me. Everyone was fine, but the car was totaled. Then I got a Honda Pilot. My mom picked it out. It was a good car. As a sophomore in college, I thought it was kind of a 'mom car', but I didn't really care. It had actually been previously owned by a mom. It had a Kool-aid stain in the back to prove it. Again, I was glad to have a car. The longer I had the Pilot, the more I loved it.

Over the past couple of months Nick mentioned getting a van. Growing up in vans, I said I would never get one. Even though I didn't know cool cars, I did know that a van was definitely not cool.  I've always said we don't need a van until my Honda Pilot died. It was a good car. It has a lot of room. Hondas last a long time. I thought there was no reason to get a van. Then one day Nick found a good deal on a Honda van. And before I knew it, we were test driving vans. The Pilot has gotten over 100,000 miles. If we were ever going to sell it, now was a good time. We also realized that the Pilot was a little more crowded than we thought when traveling with two kids and our stuff (I guess we should just get rid of some stuff). Therefore we traded in the Pilot and got a cool van.

Goodbye Pilot. You were good to me. You took me through the end of college, my wedding, moving to Montgomery, moving to our house, and you brought my two babies home safely. May your next owner appreciate you as much as I did.

Hello van. The ultimate mom car. As a friend on Instagram said, "Welcome to the best, most practical decision of your life." I think she is right. I like it more than I thought I would. It's great! I can open the side doors with buttons. I have a sun-roof for the first time. I have a TV and DVD player. This is actually the coolest car I have ever owned. 
I have officially become my mother.
But that's a good thing!

1 comment: