Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tostadas

If I had to pick one type of food to eat for the rest of my life, I would pick Mexican food. I love Mexican food! I love the chips, salsa, and cheese dip. I love guacamole, and you all know how much I love margaritas!

Marcela Valladolid is a new chef on Food Network. She cooks Mexican food, and she has a lot of good and easy recipes. Last week I used her recipe to make tostadas, but I did not follow the recipe exactly.

Nick didn't even follow my recipe exactly.

So feel free to change the recipe to your likings.

A tostada is a deep fried tortilla topped with a variety of ingredients. What could be better than that?

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large corn tortillas
Salt
1 whole boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded flat and thin
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
Juice of a lime
1 tablespoon olive oil

*ingredients may vary depending on how you make your tostada
*topping ingredients are not included

To make a tostada you need corn tortillas. I think it fries betters.

Begin by putting about an inch of oil (vegetable or peanut) in a cast iron skillet. Any skillet will do. I think cast iron is best.

Fry the tortilla about 3-5 minutes (flip half way through) or until it is lightly browned on both sides.

Drain on paper towels and sprinkle both sides with salt.

Spread the tortilla with refried beans. These are from a can, but if you are really adventurous you can make your own like Marcela Valladolid.

Sprinkle with cheese. I chose colby jack, but other varieties would be good too.

Top with shredded chicken. Our chicken was boiled along with some Fajita Magic, and then shredded.

But options are endless when it comes to flavoring chicken. Most of the ingredients on my list are for the chicken. You will have to check out Marcela's recipe to see how she cooked the chicken. You could also buy and shred a rotisserie chicken. Just do what is easiest and tastiest to you.
Now comes the fun part!
The toppings. I topped mine with lettuce, tomatoe, avocado, cilantoro.

And of course sour cream!

Nick took a different approach. His was topped with lettuce and salsa. He enjoyed it, but his was a little messier than mine.

Now pick it up and take a bite. YUM!
One of the tastiest dishes I have tried in a while. Now all you need is a margarita!

2 comments:

  1. This looks spectacular!! You amaze me with your cooking and wonderful photos. And I was so happy to see that Auburn won last week. When I checked at half time, they were behind. It was a great surprise to open the Sunday paper and see that they pulled it out. War Eagle!

    ReplyDelete