Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Nick's Onion Rings

My Spring Break officially started by taking a 3 hour glucose test. I failed the one hour test. I don't know the results yet. If I failed that means I have gestational diabetes. I think the only consequence would be to change my diet, but I'm not sure. So until I find out if I have it or not, I'm eating things like left over baby shower cake (more on that later) and these tasty onion rings that Nick made.

2 onions made more than enough rings for 4 people. We cut the longer onion into fourths, and we cut the short fat onion in half. You can make the rings whatever size you want.
Separate all the layers. Ogers are like onions. They both have layers.
Dredge them in a mixture of egg, buttermilk, hot sauce, and sour cream. Sour cream is important.
Then coat them with the flour mixture. Flour, corn meal, salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, and garlic powder.
Then repeat. That's right. Re-dredge and re-flour.
Heat oil. We used peanut oil. Once oil is hot enough place onion rings in pan. Cook for a few minutes on each side. Once they are browned on both sides take them out and place on a paper towel lined plate.
Yum!
I also made a little sauce to go with them. Mix ketchup, mayo, seasoned salt, and a pinch of paprika. You can also just eat them with ketchup.

Nick is quite the cook. Someday I'll share his BBQ and onion ring burger. It is tasty too!

3 comments:

  1. Lucy -- these look so spectacular! And I want to see baby shower pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Those are the real deal.

    I hope you don't have the diabetes!

    ReplyDelete