Sunday, November 3, 2013

Halloween

 I don't love Halloween. Once I was out of the trick-or-treat phase of life, I just lost interest in Halloween. I also don't love to dress up in costumes. 
 For preschool, Millie had to dress up as a Biblical character. My mom bought this Cinderella dress for her a couple of weeks ago. I thought Millie could wear it and be Queen Esther. I found a crown and jewels to make the outfit complete. She likes to watch the Veggie Tails version of Queen Esther (or 'Essie' as they say), but she has no idea who the real Queen Esther was. Millie just enjoyed wearing the pretty dress. 
I don't enjoy the scary part of Halloween. I can't handle a scary movie, and I prefer happy costumes (as pictured below).
Here we have the angel Gabriel, Queen Esther, and Joseph (wearing his technicolor dream coat) going to school. 
October 31st is also Reformation Day. On this is the day in 1517 Martin Luther nailed a paper of 95 theses to the church door that eventually led to the Protestant 
Reformation. On Halloween night our church held a Reformation party. There were donkey rides, bouncy houses, a dunking booth, and other outdoor games. There were also some games inside that were great for our little people. The game in the picture below was called 'Knock Down the Tower of Babel."
On Halloween night Millie was going to be Cinderella, and James was going to be her pumpkin. If you don't remember the story, the pumpkin turns into a carriage that takes Cinderella to the ball. Millie wanted to be Queen Esther again. She insisted on wearing the Queen Esther name tag. What kind of parent would I be if I discouraged the Bible character? 
We also ate dinner at church. I enjoying doing the Reformation Party at the church on Halloween night. I'm not going to encourage trick-or-treating until Millie initiates it. I'm not against it, but I'm not going to force my two year old to go door to door and get a lot of candy that she doesn't need right now. We will trick-or-treat eventually. 
Tinkerbell and Esther
I bought James some fleece pumpkin pajamas last week when the temperature was much cooler. The pajamas were going to be his costume. Then Halloween came around, and I was hot it was really warm and humid. So his onesie, bib, and pumpkin hat suited him just fine. 
I thought this was a funny and clever game.
 'Pin the 95 Theses on the Wittenberg Door' 
The children were blind folded and given a number. Then they just had to pin the number on the door, and they won candy. 
Nick and I really do love our church. It is full of good teaching and some wonderful people.

1 comment:

  1. Love Queen Esther and the sleeping pumpkin! And I'm with you on Halloween. It's not my favorite holiday.

    ReplyDelete