Wednesday, February 22, 2012

National Margarita Day

Did you know that today is National Margarita Day?

According to http://nationalmargaritaday.com/about/ the margarita is the most popular liquor cocktail in the U.S.

And it's my favorite.

I celebrated NMD by making a margarita!

I've got a new recipe for you. The original recipe can be found HERE.

This is what you will need.
2 shots 100% Blue Agave Tequila
1 shot Cointreau
1 shot of OJ
3/4 shot of Agave Nectar
juice of one lime
ice

*amounts can be modified to fit your taste.

Better tequila is 100% blue agave or like this bottle says, 100% de agave.
Cointreau is an orange liquor. There are several varieties. Grand Marnier is a popular one.

My favorite is Cointreau.

Any kind of OJ will do.

Agave nectar is sweet. It is the nectar from a cactus. It adds a little sweetness to the drink without that sweet and sour junk some restaurants use.

I found it at Publix. I can't remember if I found it near the honey or on the olive oil isle. Just look around for it. Put more or less in your drink depending on how sweet you like it. I find that 3/4 a shot is a good amount.

If you can't find agave nectar you could make a simple syrup of water and sugar.

Combine all of the ingredients listed above in a shaker full of ice and shake.
Then shake it a little more.
Really put your body into it.

If you don't have a shaker you could put it in a mason jar.
The mixture needs to be shaken.

Then pour over a cup of ice.

Enjoy.
I hope you can enjoy NMD with a good margarita.
But just remember to drink responsibly.
Happy National Margarita Day!

1 comment: