Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Breakfast Burritos

Breakfast burritos are not normally a breakfast food I'm drawn to. I have always been turned off by the ones you see at fast food restaurants, and I never thought I would be interested in making one. However, I was having a hard time with breakfast. I wanted something hearty and filling, but I didn't feel like cooking anything. I would start getting hungry, and then if I didn't eat soon, I would start feeling bad. I normally eat a bowl of cereal, but then I am hungry again an hour or two later. I found this recipe on Pinterest, and it seemed to fill my breakfast requirements. 

The convenient part about these burritos is that I cook a whole batch at once and freeze them individually. When I want to eat one, I wrap it in a paper towel, and cook it in the microwave. 
 Brown a pound of sausage. I like to use maple sausage because I don't love regular breakfast sausage.
Drain on a paper towel. I like to use a slotted spoon to do this in order to leave the grease in the pan. You'll need it to cook the hash browns.
Cook hash browns. I use about half of a 30 ounce package. You can always add more or less as you please. If the hash browns are sticking too bad I'll sometimes add a little butter or olive oil to the pan. When cooking hash browns don't stir too much. Cook them until browned.
 In a separate bowl, crack your eggs. Again, you can use as many as you want. I usually do about 5 or 6.
 Add about 1/4 cup of milk (but I don't really measure). Add some salt and pepper and stir.
Put the sausage back in the pan with the hash browns, and add the egg mixture. Cook until all the eggs are done.
 Add a little cheese to the pan. Again, use your best judgement for the amount.
 Now it is time to wrap them up. Make sure they aren't stuffed too full or it will fall out while rolling.
You can fold however you like. I like to make sure the ends are tucked in before rolling all the way up.
I like to use large tortillas. The medium work just fine too. Obviously the large tortillas just make larger burritos. 
Then wrap them individually in foil.
And put them in a Ziploc bag. Now if you don't want one right away, put the bag in the freezer.
To cook a frozen burrito, take it out of the foil and wrap it in a paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute, let it sit for about 30 seconds, flip, microwave about 1 minute, let sit for about 30 seconds. Then just check it. Sometimes I have to microwave it longer. Sometimes I cut it in half to check the inside. If the insides are still cool, then I heat it up a little longer. You might have to play with it until you and your microwave figure out the right amount of time.
You can also dethaw it in the refrigerator the night before, and it may be a little easier to heat up in the morning. 
And if you aren't careful, little fingers will snatch it away from you. Usually Mil and I share this 50-50 (like most all food I put on my plate).
These big burritos usually keep me full all the way until lunch. I think all the protein gives me more energy then my cereal, and I don't have to go searching for a mid-morning snack. The Pioneer Woman also has some recipes for breakfast burritos. Some of her's have peppers and onions in them. That would be delicious too, but I was going for the easiest recipe possible. 

1 comment:

  1. Photos are amazing! I especially love the one with Millie's hand sneaking in to grab the burrito.

    ReplyDelete